Saturday 26 November 2011

What's the Point In Disappointment?

This week has been a bit disappointing for me and a few different people close to me. We may be down but we're certainly not out! The saying goes, 'when one door closes, another door opens.' 

As I've mentioned before I have ten million plans and ideas a week for success.

Success in achieving the perfect body
Success as the perfect mom
Success as the perfect daughter, sister, friend
Success as the perfect partner
Success in my career
A successful balance when I look at my bank account!

As I get wound up and stressed about all these areas in my life they seem to get worse not better! Enter my enemy 'disappointment'! 


Who the hell is disappointment and who invited him? Whether you've been disappointed by someone, something or whether you've disappointed yourself it hurts and it seems to knock us back ten steps!



Sometimes I look at peoples' situations, when they are waiting for something to happen - they're really excited and think to myself, 'that's not going to happen for you,' or 'you're setting yourself up for disappointment.' Now unless I'm asked I'm not going to express my thoughts and to be honest I could be wrong so I don't give my 50 cent worth of opinions! But whats interesting is that after the disappointment the person that was waiting on something admits, 'I had a feeling that wasn't going to happen!' Hmmmm I guess we do need to 'be quiet' at times in life and listen to our gut instinct before making any decisions.

I'm not saying we can always forecast being disappointed, but we should at the very least check with ourselves before making an important decision, or one that could leave us feeling terrible if it failed to turn out successfully.

So what can we do with disappointment to kick it's butt into touch?
I guess, learn from it?!

One saying my mother in law taught me is, 'learn from other peoples mistakes.'
Can I just say here I'm not saying you shouldn't try something if its failed for someone else, but at least make sure your standing on the shoulders of giants - building on other people success, and not repeating the steps they took to fail. We can all learn something from other peoples mistakes.

When we feel like we've hit rock bottom it can give us the kick up the bum we need to stay motivated on our path to success. In life we can get complacent when things go our way and let our dreams lapse. Don't let disappointment win! One of my favourite stories from Dragons Den is of a man who got rejected by all of the Dragons, so this gave him even more determination to be successful and prove them wrong. He is now worth millions and when interviewed said to the Dragons, 'keep those chairs warm for me!'

One thing every successful person I admire has in common, is that they went through years of disappointment on their way to the top. Maybe disappointment is part of success?

Whether or not you believe in Karma, truth is truth! We should do everything in our power not to disappoint others. Even when we can't be bothered or want to do something else, we should make every effort to treat others the way we want to be treated.

A situation I made a decision about this week not only let me down but other people too. I've spent all week feeling really bad about it. I'm still waiting to see the reason for my failure! I have no idea why what happened came to pass, but at least I won't make the same mistake twice. If anything the situation (along with a few other disappointments this week) has left me with more determination!

When I'm disappointed I love the way it makes me appreciate what I have got already. Ollie's going to kill me for writing this, but when we have a set back in life we actually come together and work harder on being nice to each other! I think it really makes us cherish each other and our kids. One of my friends that was disappointed this week, has used the disappointment to concentrate more on the things already important to him. So we can use disappointment to drive us in other areas.

When we do strike gold maybe we will appreciate it more because we worked so hard to find it.

I wish there wasn't any disappointment in life, but when there is, I've decided I'm going to use it to my advantage. I'm going to truly let it go, not dwell on it and move on - WISER. I hope you do the same too!



Until next time,
Lots of Love
Naomi Claire
xxx

1 comment: